So, there’s a project that just got funded on KickStarter yesterday- titled “Above the Game,” in reference to the book “The Game” -which is basically a manual for men on how to sexually assault women.
The fact that this abhorrent project got approved in the first place is upsetting enough, but what worse is KickStarter’s refusal to remove the project or deny it’s funding once it was brought to their attention. “Above the Game” got through approval likely thanks the KickStarter page itself is tame in comparison to excerpts which were previewed on Reddit; such as the following, trigger-warning-bearing passages:
Decide that you’re going to sit in a position where you can rub her leg and back. Physically pick her up and sit her on your lap. Don’t ask for permission. Be dominant. Force her to rebuff your advances.
Pull out your cock and put her hand on it. Remember, she is letting you do this because you have established yourself as a LEADER. Don’t ask for permission, GRAB HER HAND, and put it right on your dick.
Keep in mind, this is a “dating advice” book. You can read some other Reddit screen caps here.
Being an avid KickStarter user and appreciator with two very successful fundings, I’m severely unnerved by the company’s denial to act against a project promoting such misogynistic, offensive and abusive acts toward others. The reason not only being how they’re letting something so repulsive use them to get funding- and 8 times its initial goal, by the way -but I will personally feel extraordinarily uncomfortable using KS’s services in the future if nothing is done about it. I love KS, it’s been a wonderful tool for us and its purpose is fantastic. But that purpose might now include knowingly funding something so disturbing.
So, here’s what I’m asking you all to consider:
- if “Above the Game” suffers no consequences, look into other crowd funding sites for projects to fund/to fund your own projects
- Send a message to KS directly and insist something be done about this project and to their policies
- Report the project on KS
- Tweet KS and its CEO Perry Chen with your concerns and desire for “Above the Game” to be defunded. (KS and Mr. Chen also have Tumblrs. While you can message the KS blog, mr. Chen’s asks seem to be disabled.)
- SIGN THIS PETITION!! And ask others to, too, on Tumblr, FB, Twitter, EVERYWHERE.
- Reblog this and other posts about “Above the Game”. Let this get as much exposure here on Tumblr as we can.
I will be updating this as I discover other/new resources. Lets not let a great service site like KS spoil itself without making all the fuss we can.